Friday, 22 May 2009

Creativity

There are little conversational games I enjoy, like asking "if you could have a dinner party with 5 people, living or dead, who would you have?". You can learn about a person with stuff like that - their interests, their mind set and their level of imagination. Another one would be "what song do you want played at your funeral?" or "who would play you in the movie of your life?".

I asked one inventive friend who would play him in a movie and he immediately replied, "can I have Michael Jackson while he was still an embryo?". I love this. It slid the key under the door for me as well with how I could have fun with these games. There was a kind of creativity simmering beneath the surface with me, but I needed my friend to lift the lid and demonstrate to me that I can come at it from that angle.

So while I previously may have said for the dinner party that my 5 guests may have been:
Harry Partch
Spalding Gray
Stan Brakhage
VS Ramachandran
Steven Pinker

now I can flex the rules, and say:
The person who wrote the alphabet song
The last cow before they go extinct
Winston Churchill's corpse
The Queen's gynecologist
The first person who counted as a human rather than a monkey

We need people to show us what is permissable in creativity. It unlocks our own potential.

No comments: